Monday, July 2, 2007

Three Texas Steers (1939)

I’m certainly glad John Wayne was granted time off during the shooing of this movie to film Stagecoach (1939). Stagecoach, of course, made him a star. I’m not sure what this film made him, though. This was a B movie so entertainment was the only consideration. It has some western action, humor, circus folk, a little romance and a man in a gorilla suit. And who could forget that small tracked vehicle that pulls a prairie schooner. As far as the plot goes there are about eight of them none of which get resolved. This was one of a strange breed of Westerns that blended the Old West with modern (at the time) technology. It wasn’t just this film. A few years back I saw a Roy Rogers picture that did the same thing. It led to a line that has stuck with me. Roy Rogers, sheriff of an 1880’s-like town proclaims, “We have to save the airline!”

No comments: